Shri Chitravina Ravikiran teaches a varnam composition of Karur Brothers in Shree set to Adi tala in this video lesson.
Key Points from the Lesson covered by Chitravina N Ravikiran
- The raga Shree is the Janya of the 22nd melakarta raga, Kharaharapriya. The raga is associated with bhakti and auspiciousness.
- The scale of the raga is as follows: Aarohanam- s r2 m1 p n2 s ; Avarohanam – s n2 p d2 n2 p m1 r2 g2 r2 s. It is an audava, vakra sampoorna raga.
- The key phrase in this raga is r2 g2 r2 s. The guru explains why this phrase needs to be carefully rendered to preserve the life of the raga.
- The special or vishesha prayoga or usage in this raga is p d2 n2 p m1. This phrase is repeated once in a while but is special to this raga.
- Allied Ragas are ragas that resemble each other. Allied ragas of Shree are Madhyamavati, Manirangu, and Pushpalatika and Shuddha Bangala all of which are janya ragas of Kharaharapriya.This lesson contains illustrations of the differences in these ragas.
Madhyamavati: Aarohana: s r2 m1 p n2 s ; Avorahanam: s n2 p m1 r2 s
Manirangu: Aarohana: s r2 m1 p n2 s ; Avorahanam: s n2 p m1 g2 r2 s
Pushpalatika: Aarohana: s r2 g2 m1 p n2 s ; Avorahanam: s n2 p m1 g2 r2 s
Shuddha Bangala: Aarohana: s r2 m1 p d2 s ; Avorahanam: s d2 p m1 r2 g2 r2 s
- The mudra or signature of the composer of this varnam appears in the Anupallavi as Garbhapurinivasa.
- The composer of the varnam are Karoor Brothers.
- In the charanam ettugada swarams, Guru Chitravina Ravikiran points out an example of nyasam in the note/swaram nishadam. Nyasam refers to the way a phrase ends on a particular note.
- The famous Pancharatna Krtis of Thyagaraja , Entaro Mahanubhavulo is a masterpiece in Shree.
- Other masterpieces in Shree are Sri Varalakshmi and Sri Kamalambikaye by Muthuswami Dikshitar, Karuna judu ninnu by Shyama Sastri and Mangalam Arul by Papanasam Sivan.