Acharyanet conducted this webinar with Guru Neyveli Santhanagopalan to help students improve their skills in music especially when performing concerts/kutcheris and also to educate rasikas to better appreciate the nuances in concerts. The session was interactive with active participation from the members and lot of valuable tips and exercises were shared by the Guru. The following topics were covered:
1. Voice culture – Chord practice in various ragas and Jantai varisai practice in various ragas to get felicity in voice.
2. Understanding Gamakas in Ragas like Thodi, Begada, Varali etc. Demonstration with Veena.
3. Tala exercises to strengthen laya using varisais, alankarams and other patterns.Understanding Laya with help of jati patterns.
4. Varnam practice methods – Demonstration in Tisram and khandam nadai.
5. Approach to Raga Alapana and understanding with notation.
6. Importance of Tanam and how to apply to various manodharma aspects like Kalpana Swara to improve creativity.
7. Approach to Neraval.
8. Viruttam singing – choosing appropriate ragas based on the lyrics.
9. Jathi patterns…laya control, then nadai varieties.
10. Approach to krithi selection for concerts.
11. How to select the right kalapramanam/tempo for a composition.
12. Question and answer session.